Nachricht
Autor
Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

Coilover mods to typ 43?

#1 Beitrag von Concker »

Hey, i guess this may be a long shot..
But does any one know if an 1982 audi 100 shares its suspension with other models? Since my shocks are done and springs has been cut by previus owner i was looking into modifing some coilovers to fit since i know this has been done before. I do have a welding friend that can do minor modifications if needed.

I could go for springs, but i really want it a littlebit lower then the 40mm drop, also to fine tune it. I can't find any springs that are tuv approved anyways so then i guess it does not really matter if its custom or not.

I dont know how much different the c4 suspension is compare to the c2? Looks like its much of the same but i guess some dimentions may be different?

Thanks

Hacki 200
Seniorchef
Seniorchef

Re: Coilover mods to typ 43?

#2 Beitrag von Hacki 200 »

Hi,

the front suspension is very similar from C2-C4, springs are exchangeable between those cars but of course the spring ratios are a bit different depending on the car.
For example: The Audi 200 5T has different springs than the 5E version - due to slightly higher weight of the engine. The 5000 turbo has even a third variant...

The rear suspension is a different case. Spring and shocks are separated in the C2, but one component going forward from C3 on.
I do not know any car using very similar springs. But maybe somebody else can help?
But I just recently bought a set of springs from Techart special for the C2 in ebay Germany. Maybe you can go for it...
H&R is offering springs for front suspension as well, just for C3 and younger one but you can use them without any issue.
There is an advertising in German oldtimer magazins frequently offering spring compression.... I am pretty sure some of the guys in this forum will now get severe blood pressure issues, but this is another chance to lower the car and even better than starting cut and weld stuff...

Keep us (or at least me :mrgreen: ) updated

Maic
Audi 200 Avant 5T Heliosblau EZ´82 "Jahrhundertprojekt"
Audi 200 5T Alpinweiss EZ´80 "Papamobil"
Audi 200 5T Heliosblau EZ´83 ex-Schweiz
Audi 5000 turbo Gobi EZ´83 ex-US
Audi 4000 S quattro Alpinweiss EZ´84 ex-US
Audi Cabrio Mingblau Perleffekt EZ´97 "Mamamobil"
Audi quattro Amazonasblau EZ´83 ex-US
Diverse Audi A2 Kugeln für die Mamas
MB 350SE W116 Byzanzgold EZ´73
VW Passat Variant GT Syncro Lhasa EZ´87

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

#3 Beitrag von Concker »

Hacki 200 hat geschrieben:Hi,

the front suspension is very similar from C2-C4, springs are exchangeable between those cars but of course the spring ratios are a bit different depending on the car.
For example: The Audi 200 5T has different springs than the 5E version - due to slightly higher weight of the engine. The 5000 turbo has even a third variant...

The rear suspension is a different case. Spring and shocks are separated in the C2, but one component going forward from C3 on.
I do not know any car using very similar springs. But maybe somebody else can help?
But I just recently bought a set of springs from Techart special for the C2 in ebay Germany. Maybe you can go for it...
H&R is offering springs for front suspension as well, just for C3 and younger one but you can use them without any issue.
There is an advertising in German oldtimer magazins frequently offering spring compression.... I am pretty sure some of the guys in this forum will now get severe blood pressure issues, but this is another chance to lower the car and even better than starting cut and weld stuff...

Keep us (or at least me :mrgreen: ) updated

Maic
Thanks alot for the info.
So in other words coilovers from c4 are bolt on in the front? That will make it alot easier as in the rear i think you may can use an bmw e36 setup.. If the springs are the same diameter, i belive its separate there aswell.

happyc
Generaldirektor
Generaldirektor

#4 Beitrag von happyc »

sorry for my bad english - it has been a long time since I've used it regulary..

a few years ago, I saw an typ43 with springs from a MB W123 on the rear axle. I didn't drive this car, so I can't tell you something about the hardness of these springs, I can't tell you something about the adjustment to the front axle, and at least, I don't remeber wich shocks were mounted. :(
It's not much - but there are several springs for the MB 123 available (in different hardness, and in different versions to come closer to the ground..), perhaps you can try some of them?
wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte "wo kämen wir hin" und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin man käme, wenn wir gingen?

Old Rusty
Vertriebsmanager
Vertriebsmanager

#5 Beitrag von Old Rusty »

Hi,

many years ago I had an 1978 Audi 100 with trailer hitch and it was equipped with coilover springs made by the Dutch company MAD. Trailer towing is very popular there. There was no problem with it, even German TUEV approved. I finally sold the car as it was with the springs.
I think nowadays the company hasn't got such springs available any more, but you could search the bay for used ones I would suggest. Another idea would be to ask the Dutch AACN Audi club for springs. As I said, in the Netherlands trailer towing is very popular.

Regards, Joe
:?: Wenn Du es selbst instandgesetzt hast, weisst Du auch, wie lange es halten wird und warum es wieder kaputt gehen könnte :D

Audi 100 S 1970 ZX
Audi 100 GL 1972 ZJ
Audi 100 GL 1973 2T ZP
Audi 100 LS f.i. 1975 YB
Audi 200 5T 1981 WJ
VW T3 1990 NF

ruud
Abteilungsleiter
Abteilungsleiter

#6 Beitrag von ruud »

Old Rusty hat geschrieben:Hi,

many years ago I had an 1978 Audi 100 with trailer hitch and it was equipped with coilover springs made by the Dutch company MAD. Trailer towing is very popular there. There was no problem with it, even German TUEV approved. I finally sold the car as it was with the springs.
I think nowadays the company hasn't got such springs available any more, but you could search the bay for used ones I would suggest. Another idea would be to ask the Dutch AACN Audi club for springs. As I said, in the Netherlands trailer towing is very popular.

Regards, Joe
I am from Holland and I know what Joe means. If you are interested, I can see if some are available

greetings, Ruud

Old Rusty
Vertriebsmanager
Vertriebsmanager

#7 Beitrag von Old Rusty »

I have just seen MAD is still in business. They have got an online-shop, but the c2 is not mentioned. Maybe it would help to call them on the phone.

Regards, Joe
:?: Wenn Du es selbst instandgesetzt hast, weisst Du auch, wie lange es halten wird und warum es wieder kaputt gehen könnte :D

Audi 100 S 1970 ZX
Audi 100 GL 1972 ZJ
Audi 100 GL 1973 2T ZP
Audi 100 LS f.i. 1975 YB
Audi 200 5T 1981 WJ
VW T3 1990 NF

Concker
Lehrling
Lehrling

#8 Beitrag von Concker »

thanks for the info all of you :)
As the snow and winter has started to kick in here in Norway the project is a little halted, but going to try to finish the interior during the winter.
I have however been looking into the thoughts about C4 front coilovers.

Seems like TA-technix does deliver some that are not to expensive to try out as an experiment.
Its the EVOGWAU04 version that i find, where it says not for cars with m12 topbolt, what does this mean, will it work on the c2?
Also can it be confirmed that this is just to bolt straight onto an c2 front suspension?

If i can get confirmed that the front will be easy to do, the rears should not be to difficult to fix, just to find about the correct diameter springs and connect this together with an adjustable "nut" like on the newer cars like C5, B8 etc that also has individual springs and dampers.

Antworten